Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> When cycling through matches using ":cnext", if there are several matches in
> single long line, the line is only shortened the first time (but _not_ the
> 2nd, 3rd, etc.,) to avoid a Hit-Enter prompt.
>
> Reproducible: every time.
>
> Steps to reproduce:
> 1. :set wrap " I'm not sure this is necessary
> 2. :vimgrep /pattern/g filename
> where:
> - "filename" is a file or files with a number of lines longer than
> 'cmdheight'
> times 'columns'
> - /pattern/ will happen more than once in some long lines
> 3. :cn
> 4. Go to step 3.
>
> Notice that the first match in any given line never produces a Hit-enter
> prompt. Too-long lines have part of their non-matching text replaced by "...".
>
> Actual result: 2nd, 3rd, etc. matches in any given line produces a Hit-enter
> prompt; the line is displayed in full, overflowing the command-line.
>
> Expected result: No hit-enter prompts.
>
> Additional info: I've been seeing this for as long as I've used ":vimgrep"
> (i.e., since shortly after that command was introduced) and I'm still seeing
> it in gvim 7.0.201. I just never came around to report it. (I didn't use the
> quickfix commands much before :vimgrep appeared, except for :helpgrep where
> lines are shorter than 80 characters.)

This works as intended.  It's a compromise between shortening the
message, to avoid the press-enter prompt, and being able to see the
whole message.  The idea is that after jumping to a line with ":cnext"
you can do ":cc" to see the whole message.  It's implemented in a way
that when displaying the same line twice the second time it displays the
whole line.

191. You rate eating establishments not by the quality of the food,
     but by the availability of electrical outlets for your PowerBook.