Nikolai Weibull wrote:

The manSubHeading is defined as

syn match  manSubHeading      "^\s\{3\}[a-z][a-z ]*[a-z]$"

This will, however, match more lines than I think is intended.  It
will, for example, match the line

\t  returns are what are recorded and compared with the data git keeps

where "\t" is a horizontal tabulation.  I'm guessing that the actual
regex should be

but I'm not sure; I haven't been able to find a reference for the
display of manual pages.

Anyone have any insight into this issue?

I suggest bringing up syntax highlighting issues for a specific filetype with the syntax highlighting file's maintainer. In this case, by looking at syntax/man.vim, its: Gautam H. Mudunuri <gmudunur AT informatica.com>.

Regards,
Chip Campbell