> Hm... Maybe the console version checks the values of the guibg= guifg=
> settings even though it doesn't use them. Try dropping the attached
> file into your $VIMRUNTIME folder and see if it makes any difference.
>
> (See ":help rgb.txt" for an explanation of how Vim uses it. IIUC, on
> X11- and Windows-based systems, those colour names' RGB values can be
> obtained by querying the OS.)

Ahh.. found it. 'make install' wasn't copying the 'rgb.txt' to
$VIMRUNTIME.

It seems that this is a bug because even on the linux machine, 'make
install' doesn't copy rgb.txt either.  However on the linux machine
there are existing copies of rgb.txt in places like /etc/x11/rgb.txt
(Ubuntu 7.04) which vim must have picked up which is why it works.

I've never noticed this bug before since I always rsync the runtime
after a build - which therefore places an rgb.txt into my $VIMRUNTIME.
Because rsync is not suitable for the Vim 7.1a runtime, rgb.txt is
missing from my $VIMRUNTIME hence the issue showed itself.

I just did a build of 7.0.243 (svn#261) and it also fails with the
inability to understand the colour scheme - because there is no rgb.txt
copied to $VIMRUNTIME!

So it looks like this might have been a long standing issue.

Bram - can you change the Makefile to copy rgb.txt to $VIMRUNTIME for
OSX builds?

Thanks for the tip Tony!