Eric Arnold wrote:

> I haven't been idle on this.  I was unable to get my test case working
> for a simple but un-obvious reason.  It requires that at least one
> other window be open.
>
> Run the following, and open two windows.  Edit a file in one.  Open a
> new line, which I assume triggers the tabline to trigger as the buffer
> becomes modified.  Then as you move the cursor around, you should see
> the "Tst#" prompt incrementing with each keystroke.
>
> let s:counter = 0
> function! Tst()
>       call Tst_set_hl()
>       let s:counter += 1
>       echo 'Tst#'.s:counter
>       return 'A test string'
> endfunction
>
> set tabline=%!Tst()
>
> if &showtabline < 1
>       set showtabline=1       " 2=always
> endif
>

> function! Tst_set_hl()
>       hi! Tst_hl term=bold
> endfunction

I don't see the problem.

I have to guess that where you talk about another window you actually
mean another tab page, otherwise the tab pages line isn't displayed at
all.

I only see the "Tst#N" displayed when I switch between tab pages with
"gt".

I guess your example is missing something essential.  Try starting with
"vim -u NONE".

--
"The future's already arrived - it's just not evenly distributed yet."
                -- William Gibson