On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 08:23:00AM EDT, Benji Fisher wrote:
> On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 07:50:08PM -0700, Suresh Govindachar wrote:
> >
> > cga2000 wrote:
> >
> >   > But I was not thinking of these tab stops..
> >   > more in the line of typewriter stuff, I guess.
> >
> >   Creating an imap involving the following
> >   operations might do the job:
> >
> >    "---set up the typewriter style tab-stops---
> >        let twtabs=[3, 5, 10, 28, 40, 58]
> >    "---then imap <tab> to
> >    "   something involving the following---
> >        let idx=0
> >        while (getpos('.')[2] >= twtabs[idx])
> >              let idx += 1
> >        endwhile
> >    "---then something like---
> >        cursor(0, twtabs[idx])
> >    "---or---
> >        normal (twtabs[idx] - getpos('.')[2])l
> >
> >   --Suresh
>
>      I already implemented that.  See the VarTab() function in foo.vim
> (my file of example vim functions):
>
> http://www.vim.org/script.php?script_id=72

Thanks. Will play with that too.

I was wondering if another approach such as using a markup language
that supports tables might not be preferable in the long run. What I
mean by this is that it might be a little more difficult to start off
with but might provide more control and facilities and end up being a
more "portable" solution.

html would be an obvious candidate but I suppose that there are others
in the linux world?

Is there any way I can split the screen and have the source version of a
document written in a markup language in one window and the compiled
version in the other?  With a simple command or key combo that I could
issue in the "source" window that would cause a refresh of what is
displayed in the other window..? Or is vim just not suited for this
kind of approach?

Thanks,

cga