Vinay Doma wrote:
A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
Maybe I overreacted. OK, let's amend it: if you want a Windows-like
editor, don't use Vim, use WordPad (in plaintext mode). I still won't
recommend mswin.vim to anybody.

But what about mswin.vim don't you like? All it has is a bunch of
windows friendly mappings (Cut, Copy, Paste, Select All, Redo, Undo,
etc). Looks pretty harmless to me. And you could always modify them to
suit your need.

vdoma

What I don't like about it is that it interferes with standard Vim normal-mode commands, making Vim less Vim-like, and, in some cases, making some commands totally unavailable without unneeded extra work (such as creating noremaps for them and running the risk of hiding still other commands). One case in point is that of Ctrl-X which you (or someone else in this thread) noticed; there are others: almost every Ctrl-letter keystroke has a meaning in Vim; making them Windows-like hides the "proper" Vim command. There are Vim commands for everything you mentioned, and (IMO) those "windows-like" commands just stand in the way of learning the more versatile "native" Vim commands (for Cut: x = cut letter, dd = cut line, daw = cut word, [Visual]d = cut visual selection, etc.; prefix by "+ to place them into the clipboard. Select All is ggVG which breaks down as gg = go to top, V = start linewise visual, G = go to bottom. Undo is u, Redo is Ctrl-R [not r which is "replace"], And so on.)

In the years I've been on this list, I don't count the number of times when newbies have come asking, in essence, "Why doesn't Vim behave as advertised?" and mswin.vim (which they unknowingly were sourcing in their vimrc) was the reason.