Gerald Lai wrote:
On Wed, 24 May 2006, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:

Eric Arnold wrote:
Off hand, I can't remember the exact name, but I think that there is a
special rc filename that is executed even when it isn't a login
shell.....
[...]

Yes, I think so too, and I don't remember it offhand either, but "man bash" (which is quite long for a manpage) will tell you.

Perhaps it's called ".bashenv"? Not sure. I use ZSH. It's equivalent is ".zshenv".
--
Gerald

As said under INVOCATION in the bash manpage:

Login shell: /etc/profile (if found), then the first one (if any) found readable among ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bash_login, ~/.profile (all this unless --noprofile). At exit: ~/.bash_logout (if found).

Non-login interactive shell: ~/.bashrc (if found) unless --norc

Non-interactive shell: does as if executing
if [ -n "BASH_ENV" ]; then . "$BASH_ENV"; fi
but doesn't search the $PATH

There are more details about what bash does when invoked as sh, when invoked in posix mode, when invoked by the remote shell daemon, or when invoked in suid mode.

Under FILES, two additional files (for readline initialization) are mentioned.