Tony, Andalou

>>> If I do: gvim -u NONE -U NONE -c "set verbosefile=C:/vim.log"
>>> I get: [...]
>>>
>>> E329: No menu "&Buffer" [...]
>>>
>> I can confirm that behaviour of gvim, but I think it is a feature,
>> not a bug.
>>
> [...]
> However, under ":help -u" it is said that "-u NONE" disables vimrc,
> gvimrc, and all global plugins. If menu.vim was sourced nevertheless,
> then IIUC the user must have somehow triggered that sourcing.

Since I can confirm that behaviour of gvim, I am "the user" :-) I
believe that nobody knows the Vim manual better than you, but after
seriously studying

:help startup
:help gui-init

I think that -u NONE prevents only the global plugin to be loaded,
but do not prevent the initialisation of the graphical user
interface, while -U NONE prevents the latter with one exception: The
system-wide menu files are sourced. If I verify this with

:help -U

,I come to the same conclusion. To prevent gvim from sourcing the
menu.vim script, call it like that:

gvim -u NONE -U NONE --cmd "set guioptions+=M" \
        -c "set verbosefile=vim.log"

Indeed! Now the error messages within the vim.log file have
vanished! This is why I think that "the user" is innocent ;-)

Best regards

Mathias