Hi Tony

>> Since I can confirm that behaviour of gvim, I am "the user" :-)
>> I believe that nobody knows the Vim manual better than you, but
>> [...]
>>
> If someone knows the Vim docs better than anyone, I bet it's Bram
> Moolenaar. ("Flatter not thy brother, it is treason; should thy
> brother flatter thee, fear lest he should corrupt thee." How are
> you trying to corrupt me? ;-) )

The corruption was: Let me alive if I am telling silly things. How
you are trying to corrupt Bram? ;-)

> Under ":help -u" [...]
> IOW, -u NONE implies -U NONE

Good to know.

> From what I found out answering another user, ":filetype on" (and
> its variations) implicitly loads the menu structure. So if you
> issued a ":filetype [...] on" statement manually, that implicitly
> loaded the menus (and issued the incriminated messages, [...]
I didn't. I think the behaviour should be reproducible as the OP
described, even on Linux and even with a gvim that isn't built with
Visual Studio.

> Otherwise, menu.vim is still sourced, as you noted, at GUI
> inistialization time (see ":help -U" and ":help gui-init". The
> latter has something which will probably be of interest to you
> (under ":help buffers-menu"):
>
>   The system menu file includes a "Buffers" menu. If you don't
>   want this, set the "no_buffers_menu" variable in your .vimrc

Thanks! I successfully tried

gvim -u NONE -c "let no_buffers_menu=1" -c "set verbosefile=vim.log"

and got no "&Buffers" menu and no error message in vim.log. But
anyway: I still think that

1. The OP didn't do anything wrong
2. The behaviour he reported is a feature, not a bug

Greetings

Mathias