Hari Krishna Dara wrote:

> It seems like I am getting E788 error too often, without much reason.
> The latest is for the :compiler command that is being executed from a
> ftplugin. I narrowed it down to the command itself, not the compiler
> plugin, as adding a :finish at the start of the compiler plugin didn't
> get rid off the error, but commenting the :compiler call itself did.
>
> The problem occurs because I am reloading the buffer during the
> FileChangedRO event, and manually triggering the BufRead event, because
> for some reason this doesn't get triggered. Actually BufRead event
> didn't in prior version also, but I was able to workaround this by
> manually triggering FileChangedShell (Bram's suggestion), but this no
> longer works properly. If FileChangedShell is triggered from
> FileChangedRO, the v:fcs_reason gets ignored, so my workaround is to
> just reload the file, and manually fire BufRead event, which is what is
> causing the E788 error in this case.

It looks like there is no problem with allowing the ":compiler" command
here.  This means it can also be used in the command line window.
I'll change that.

> The previous time I got E788 was in my FileChangedShell handler. Prior
> to 7.0, since there was no v:fcs_reason support, I had to jump to the
> buffer for which the event got triggered and conditionally reload the
> buffer, but now this is no longer allowed. The reason I think this is
> too restrictive is that the doc suggests that FileChangedShell is
> allowed to reload related buffers, if you know what you are doing, but
> you can't reload buffer without first switching to it (and, to repeat,
> this causes E788).

Vim has to be very careful.  There have been several problems and
crashes caused by allowing too much in autocommands.  I rather stay on
the safe side.

--
I'm sure that I asked CBuilder to do a "full" install.  Looks like I got
a "fool" install, instead.              Charles E Campbell, Jr, PhD