Adding the Vim Users mailing list, because I can't answer these completely.

I don't know of anything that will do exactly what you want, but ":set number"
might help.

> (2) Is there a plug-in file especially for text? Already configured for
> 79 spaces with linebreak etc already set.

I'm sure there must be something useful out there at vim.org. I have

" In text files, always limit the width of text to 75 characters
autocmd BufNewFile,BufRead *.txt,*.htm,*.html setlocal tw=75

in my _vimrc.

--
/George V. Reilly  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.georgevreilly.com/blog/