Vigil wrote:
I hate sites that have the ability to log in but don't tell you why, so: why should I register on vim.org?

What do you mean by "register on vim.org" ? I see three possible meanings of the expression:

- subscribing to the vim -at- vim.org mailing list: you already did. It allows you to cry for help and to get it from people like you, Vim users -- maybe just a little more experienced than you are. In a few months or years you'll be giving info to the then newbies too.

- getting an account at vim-online ( http://www.vim.org/ or http://vim.sourceforge.net/ ) : it allows you to upload useful scripts (if you write any) for use by others.

- sponsoring Vim / registering your Vim copy: this allows you to help Bram dedicate more of his time to Vim development. It also allows you to "vote" for new features you'd want to see included.

IIUC the answers to your question can be found by "intelligently browsing" the vim-online site.