Steve Hall wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-07-21 at 11:19 +0800, Stewart Johnson wrote:
>
>>Is there a vim option to represent space characters in a file as a
>>dot or something else not blank?
>

> Vim can only represent trailing spaces, not any intermediate ones.
> (Per the previously mentioned listchars option.)

Note I don't find this an issue as vim does highlight intermediate tabs,
I use the following settings ~/.vimrc for visible whitespace:

"flag problematic whitespace (trailing and spaces before tabs)
"Note you get the same by doing let c_space_errors=1 but
"this rule really applys to everything.
highlight RedundantSpaces term=standout ctermbg=red guibg=red
match RedundantSpaces /\s\+$\| \+\ze\t/
"use :set list! to toggle visible whitespace on/off
set listchars=tab:>-,trail:.,extends:>

Pádraig.