On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 08:37:47AM EDT, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
> Warning: off-topic post. Read at your own risk.

[..]
> Before computers, I used a "French" typewriter keyboard (AZERTY type).
> Nowadays I use a "Belgian" computer keyboard (also AZERTY but with
> special characters arranged differently). My father has an old
> typewriter he bought in Switzerland when he was a student, and it uses a
> QWERTZ layout. (Switzerland has four official languages, viz. German,
> French, Italian and Romanche; and I don't know how many different
> keyboards they use.)
>
> On a mechanical typewriter, it was possible to use "half-spacing" by
> holding the space bar down. So, if one wanted to produce the oe digraph
> on a French typewriter (not an electric one though), it was possible --
> for a perfectionist. Let's say I wanted to type "boeuf" (= beef/ox):
>
> 1. press and hold spacebar. This advances the carriage by one half space
> 2. hit b. This prints b without moving the carriage.
> 3. release, press and hold spacebar.
> 4. hit o
> 5. release spacebar. The carriage is now over the right half of the o.
> 6. hit e u f in succession.

.. makes my mouth water.. I should try Ebay .. see if I can find an
affordable high-end typewriter that does such fancy stuff.

> The oe digraph is called "o, e dans l'o" and the ae digraph is called in
> French "a, e dans l'a". The latter as in Serge Gainsbourg's song
> "elaeudanla téitéia" (which spells the name "Laetitia").

phew.. this one took me a couple of minutes to figure out.. !!

> French typewriters indeed seldom had the digits one and zero: small-ell
> and big-oh were used insted. But it even carried over to computers:
> Several decades ago (before the merger with Honeywell), the (French)
> Bull computer company used on its computers a charset where the same
> character could mean either zero or O-for-Oscar depending on context --
> and another one, I think, could mean one or I-for-India. (Few computers
> had lowercase in those days.) This, of course, caused headaches without
> end when trying to convert those computers' magnetic tapes to IBM's BCD
> and EBCDIC standards or to (whose? PDP? CDC? other?) ASCII.

Hehe.. maybe a bit of "OT" at one point in the designers' career
wouldn't have hurt.. Sounds like the year 2000 business.. but worse..

What did they do?  Hired a few thousand data entry folks to do the
conversion..  Not sure regex's had been invented at the time.

.. anyway .. as I always say we should all go back to writing in Latin &
Roman numerals..

> I'm not sure non-English non-French non-German speaking countries all
> use a US-derived keyboard, even if we limit ourselves to those that
> use variants of the Latin alphabet. Typewriters, after all, date back
> to (I think) before World War I, a time when English was much less
> dominant internationally than it is now. At the courts of
> St-Petersburg and Potsdam, French was spoken; Germany and Austria
> together covered (or had recently covered) a territory that went from
> Alsace to Silesia and from Schleswig-Holstein to the plain of the Po.
> I suspect that most of Central Europe would have adopted a
> German-derived (or maybe French-derived) keyboard regardless of
> whether the majority language was Czech, Slovak, Italian, Hungarian,
> Croatian...

quick googling for "keyboard layout" shows that you are correct.

I don't trust Wiki's 100% but this page has some useful keyboard
layouts:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout

> I agree that the lack of oe OE digraphs in the Latin charsets is
> probably due to their absence on French typewriter keyboards. (AE ae
> were kept because they are used in Danish.) There is more than a
> single-letter difference with English though: not only the layout is
> different but there are several accented letters. The French (and
> Belgian)

.. somewhat to my surprise the Belgian keyboard uses the AZERTY layout
while the Netherlands use QWERTY.  But then this would make sense since
as far as I recall Dutch/Flemish is pretty limited to the ASCII charset
and that's obviously available on AZERTY keyboards. So they only needed
to accomodate the French-speaking community. But doesn't Belgium also
have a German-speaking community?  Ah.. maybe it was just that most
businesses were owned by French-speaking Belgians at the time the layout
was adopted..

> keyboards have a dead key for circumflex and trema/diaeresis/umlaut,
> but à ç é è ù and sometimes uppercase-C-cedilla each have their own
> glyphs. (In French, uppercase letters with the exception of C-cedilla
> and sometimes E-acute were usually left unaccented. I believe
> computers are slowly pushing back the trend.)

Actually I found that there is such a thing as a US International
Keyboard and maybe I could acquire one of those since it all the fancy
characters that I would want..

> Best regards, Tony.

Thanks much for all this pre-computer days lore..!

Doesn't hurt to know a little something about where we came from..

Thanks

cga