On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 12:05:02PM EDT, Charles E Campbell Jr wrote:
> cga2000 wrote:
>
> >I sometimes need to write text in other languages such as French,
> >Spanish and occasionally German or Italian. ..snip..
> >
> >I would like to do this in Vim.
> >
> >Unfortunately I only have a US keyboard.
> >

> Have you considered EasyAccents.vim?
>
>  http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=451

That's exactly the sort of thing I initially had in mind but since I've
already spent some time getting familiar with the standard (?) Vim
solution (:set keymap=) and it's a breeze to customize I'll probably
stick with that.

What I like abut the ":set keymap" solution is that if you wait a
fraction of a second between "'" and "e" for instance Vim realizes that
you want an apostrophe followed by an "e".. not an "e" with acute accent
and moves the cusor to the next position..  Another way to achieve this
is to map two apostrophes to the (single) apostrophe in your keymap
description.. so you type two "'"'s in quick succession when you want an
apostrophe rather than an accented letter..  But I find the former
method more natural.

Thanks all the same. Appreciate your help.

> It doesn't use the spelling checker in vim 7.0, but it accepts
> a'
> a`
> a^
> a:
> etc to generate accented characters.  Easy to turn on and off, too: \eza
> toggles.

For some bizarre reason .. something in my Vim setup .. I've never
managed to get this '\' leader escape character to work.  So for the
vimspell plugin for instance I have to type the :* commands.