On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 23:03:12 -0400, Alan G Isaac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Aug 2006, "A.J.Mechelynck" apparently wrote:
> > What is "the raw string notation from Python" ?
> > IMHO it would only create one additional type of string. We already have
> > single-quoted 'raw' strings in Vim, yet many people constantly forget
> > that double-quoted strings in Vim are "cooked".
>
> Yes, that is my point:
> Many people forget the difference between single and double
> quoted strings. Indeed when reading vimscript the difference
> is not immediately obvious (easily forgettable), which is
> unfortunate.
>
> Taking the Python approach that values explicitness,
> http://docs.python.org/ref/strings.html
> a raw string can be created
> r'like this' or r"like this".

But "..." versus '...' is just as explicit.  It's also something
shared by every Unix shell I've used, along with quite a few other
languages such as Perl.  In fact, apart from Python and XML I can't
think of any languages that don't make a distinction between double
and single quotes, as it's an extremely useful difference and it's
a waste of a limited character set to ignore it.

--
Matthew Winn