Tom Purl wrote:

> > From: Charles E Campbell Jr, Fri, August 11, 2006 11:31 am

> > No more than we currently have. A lot of issues are self-regulated
> > because users are capable of fixing pages.
> >
> >> And the spam problem has already afflicted the tips, at the cost of
> >> using moderators to elide them. I can just see the (insert favorite
> >> descriptive adjectival phrase here) spammers wiping out existing
> >> tips' contents and inserting their garbage. Of course, I'm not a
> >> wiki expert, and perhaps this problem isn't a problem?
> >
> > Wikis are extremely durable, especially since anyone can fix them.
> > Abuse tends to be over-advertised, especially for wikis requiring
> > login to edit (like the current site).
> >
> > MediaWiki (Wikipedia) in particular is very strong in this area, since
> > it is possible to see diffs between any two versions of a page. Of
> > course it helps to have a few moderators that can lock down a page
> > prone to abuse, but any user can revert a change simply by going back
> > to a previous non-spammed version and pasting it to the current.
> >
> > The current Tips is terribly burdened by typos and obsolete pages, I
> > think a Wiki would be a good way to fix the current problems.
>
> It appears as though lots of people like the idea of using a wiki as an
> interface to the tips on vim.org.  Should there be a next step?  If so,
> then what should it be?
>
> One possibility would be to set up a "test" wiki on vim.org that
> wouldn't be visited by "normal" vim.org users.  We could test out some
> of the ideas in this thread and see if there are any advantages.  Also,
> someone could set up a "test" wiki in a separate domain and we could
> test things out (if we don't want to mess with the main site).
>
> Of course, I would say that this type of decision should be made by a
> site admin or someone like that.  Have any of those people been
> following this thread?

I like using a wiki, so that tips get corrected and updated by whoever
happens to notice something that can be improved.

The spam issue is a real problem.  I have seen several wikis that have
been polluted.  Perhaps we can require people to login to their
www.vim.org account before they are able to change something?

We have PHP on the server, thus a PHP based wiki would work.

Scott Johnston is the maintainer of the www.vim.org infrastructure.  He
can help out with someone who wants to setup the wiki.

122. You ask if the Netaholics Anonymous t-shirt you ordered can be
     sent to you via e-mail.