On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 10:08:50PM EDT, Pete Johns wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-08-21 at 20:54:21 -0500, Tom Purl sent:
> >I'm looking for a simple function that will reformat a selected
> >block of text for e-mail messages (80 columns long, preserving
> >">" characters, etc).  Vim Cream can do this very well, but the
> >functionality doesn't easily translate to vanilla Vim from what
> >I can see, and I prefer using Vim instead of Cream.
> >
> >Is there a function that allows me to do this for Vim?
> >
> Have you tried 'gq'? This works perfectly for me with visual
> blocks.

Someone on the list recently suggested I use "gqip" to reflow paragraphs
and I was going to suggest that.  Much to my delight, I later found that
it also preserved the ">" characters in e-mail messages, so I was going
to recommend using that.

I find it quicker than entering visual mode.

This thread made me realize that I do not even understand how gqip
"works"..?

:h gq tells me that the general format is gq{motion} .. but what kind of
motion is "ip"..?  "i" should move the cursor up just one line but what
about "p"..?

Thanks

cga