Max Dyckhoff wrote:
Recently something rather annoying has started happening; key codes have
started occasionally timing, despite my express desire for them to never
time out. notimeout and nottimeout are both set.

If I move to a place in the file and type ^W quickly and then pause
before typing ], then it will timeout after around a second. If I move
to a place in the file and then wait for a small period of time, the ^W
will no longer time out.

It looks like something related to the CursorHold time is happening, but
I can't for the life of me work out what it is. Any ideas?

Cheers!

Max

As your subject hints, try

        :verbose set timeout? ttimeout? timeoutlen? ttimeoutlen?

then read the help about these 4 options.

In a nutshell, to have Vim time out after 0.25 second for multibyte keycodes (generated by the keyboard driver) and after only 5 seconds when you're typing the {lhs} of a mapping, use

        :set timeout ttimeoutlen=250 timeoutlen=5000

To time out after 0.1 second for keycodes and never for mappings, use

        :set notimeout ttimeout ttimeoutlen=100

etc. The default is one second for both.