On Sunday 27 August 2006 17:44, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
> Paul Irofti wrote:
> > Hi vimers,
> >
> > I have a problem since my latest update to vim7. My vimrc file
> > contains, among other things, set vb t_vb=. Because I don't like
> > any kind of beeps or other warnings.
> >
> > Now, after the update, it gives me a visual beep/warning although I
> > have
> >
> > the same vimrc. If I issue at runtime:
> > :set vb t_vb=
> >
> > it's all back to normal. No more visual effects!
>
> By doing
>
>       :verbose set vb? t_vb?
>
> you'll be able to see which script (if any) last set these options.
> (I wonder what it may be).

It was, as I suspected, vimrc.

> Note that if you use gvim, t_vb is reset at its gvim default when
> starting the GUI (after having sourced the vimrc). You may want to
> set it to empty in both your vimrc (to avoid a visual bell in Console
> Vim) and your gvimrc (for the GUI).

That was the problem. I thought vimrc was read first and afterwards, if
gvim was lunched, the gvimrc. I kept only gui specific stuff in gvimrc
such as:

set guioptions-=m
set guioptions-=T
set guioptions-=r
set guifont=Terminus\ 12
set lines=50
set columns=100

Is this normal behaviour? I remember reading that vimrc had precedence
and don't remember seeing any notes about gvim overwritting some of the
stuff there.

> Or if you don't want to bother with a gvimrc just for that, use the
> following in your vimrc:
>
>       set vb t_vb=
>       if has('+autocmd') && exists('##GUIEnter')
>               au GUIEnter * set t_vb=
>       endif
>

> Best regards,
> Tony.