Mark Woodward wrote:
[...]
so would it be possible to have vim on a usb key without modifying
environment variables? What I wouldn't give to be able to use vim at
work! I've asked and they've told me to use notepad!!!! They've got no
idea! or assume I don't. They may not be too far from the mark
but I do know which is the more powerful by a country mile!!
[...]

Yes, I think so. Just copy the directory which Vim sees as $VIMRUNTIME (usually C:\Program Files\vim\vim70 or something like that) and everything in it or in its subdirectories, including of course your gvim executable. Or if you want to carry also "additions to vim" which weren't in the distribution, you might want to copy the parent of that $VIMRUNTIME, i.e. $VIM with its vimfiles/ and vim70/ subdirectories, and optionally your _vimrc and/or _gvimrc scripts (which are then placed in $VIM rather than $HOME).

You may leave $VIMRUNTIME and $VIM unset, and then when you start (let's say) Z:\vim\vim70\gvim.exe it will see that they are unset, and set $VIM to Z:\vim and $VIMRUNTIME to Z:\vim\vim70