From: Benji Fisher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Plain TeX support ?
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 15:16:00 -0400

> On Sat, Sep 23, 2006 at 06:54:29AM +0200, Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >  Looking into
> >
> >              :help \<TeX\>
> >
> >  does not that much information about the support of generating nice
> >  and find documents via plain TeX.
> >
> >  Where can I get informations about what I can
> >  do/download/install/read to get a TeX-support a la AucTeX for Emacs ?
> >
> >  Keep hacking!
> >  mcc
>
>      That is an odd looking use of :help .  Perhaps you meant to try
>
> :helpgrep \<TeX\>
>
> instead?
>
>      Note that the tex file type is for LaTeX and plaintex is used for
> plain TeX.  See
>
> :help ft-tex-plugin
>
> if your plain TeX files are given file type tex.  (I am assuming you are
> using vim 7.  Correct me if I am wrong!)
>
>      The default ftplugin/plaintex.vim does a few things:  it sets
> options so that \input files will be recognized for include-file
> searches (:help include-search) and comments are recognized as such.
> What are the three features you miss most from AucTeX?
>
> HTH                                   --Benji Fisher

After I wrote my first TeX-text without Emacs/AucTeX spontaneous I
would say the following things are missing:

A Keystrokes to insert {\bf X }, {\it X \/} and such where X marks the
  cursor position after doing the keystroke.

B Interface to run TeX and a viewer (configurable) on the file one is
  editing which ensures, that the file on the HD is uptodate.

C Defintions to automatically map "<word>" to ``<word>'' and to remap
  - in my case - german umlauts to the TeX-commandsequences. This
  should be done for any non-ASCII-character. Most of the bugs I had
  to remove while trying to tex my file were of such kind.

I have not proofen that this is not already implemented, I only read
the few lines of the help text for ft-tex-plugin. And didn't fiddle
with quickfix and such. May be quickfix can be misused for texing ?
Dont know.

Keep hacking and TeXing!
mcc