I'm trying to execute a series of Vim commands on multiple files.  Here's
the workflow:

1. Open a file using gvim
2. Execute a named macro (that was recorded using the `q + a` command)
3. Save and close my file (which forces me to close gvim in this
example).
4. Repeat on the next file without having to re-record my macro.

This works for me with vim, but for some reason, when I re-open gvim, it
forgets my "@ macro".  What setting can I change to fix this?

The 'viminfo' setting controls whether registers get saved...particularly a combination of the "s" and "<" options. Since you're recording to register "a", you'll want to preserve your registers, so that they get restored when vim restarts.

-tim