Thanks for the quick reply Tim!  I did a little more research based on
your help, and I found the options.txt help file.  From what I
understand, to do what I want to do, I should put the following line in
my ~/.vimrc:

    set viminfo='50,<1000,s100

However, this still doesn't cause vim to remember registers across
sessions.  I'll save an "@ macro" in one instance of gvim, close gvim,
and then when I re-open it, I can't use that macro.  Does anyone else
know if there's something I'm missing?

Strange. You are correct that the viminfo setting you list *should* do the trick. To evidence this, I started up vim, recorded a macro to the "q" register, ran it a couple times, and quit, then restarted vim, and tried "@a" again to execute the macro. Worked like a charm.

My first suspicion would be that something is impolitely tromping on your viminfo setting. You might try

        :verbose set viminfo?

to see if it's been changed elsewhere. Then, grab a baseball bat and your cousins Guido, Fat Tony & Vinny and go "remedy" the problem. ;)

-tim