On 10/5/06, Brecht Machiels <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
But as I'm probably not the first to try to use Vim as an IDE

No, you're not.  The issue is not that you're trying to use vim as an
IDE, it is that you're trying to use vim as Eclipse.
Define "IDE".

When I use vim as "an IDE", I use things like ctags to jump around
files, change things here and there, run :make, etc etc  taglist is
nice.  So are clewn/vimgdb, but not as much as raw gdb.

Now, if you want vim to write makefiles and things for you, that's
another story.  I have a feeling this is what you want - a step to
integrate "build these files".  Things like Eclipse / Visual Studio
have a "files listing" which is used to know which files to compile /
embed / whatever.  make does this just fine, and better, IMO, but
requires you to write a Makefile.

I guess I could answer better if you defined what an IDE is to you.  I
get mixed answers on this when I ask people.  In short: you are trying
to use vim like tools you are used to.  It doesn't work that way.  vim
is vim.  It is not Eclipse.