>From :help visual-operators

Note that the ":vmap" command can be used to specifically map keys in Visual
mode.  For example, if you would like the "/" command not to extend the Visual
area, but instead take the highlighted text and search for that: >
        :vmap / y/<C-R>"<CR>

I would suggest not using the default yank register (it annoys me when things
clear it without warning me!) so try this instead (which uses the 'q' register
instead):
        :vmap / "qy/<C-R>q<CR>

Then whenever you press / with something highlighted in visual mode, it will
get searched for!

Hope that helps!

Max