#5 indicates that, as Tim said, you have 'cp' set.  But vim sets
'nocp' automatically when it detects and sources an initialization
file named .vimrc or _vimrc.  Therefore, it appears that your vimrc
file is not being sourced, which would explain #1.

Executing :version will show you where your vim is looking for its
initialization files and :scriptnames will show you the
initialization files vim actually sourced.  Reading

    :help initialization

will also help you understand what should be happening when you
start vim and may help you track down the root problem.

HTH,
Gary

--
Gary Johnson                 | Agilent Technologies
[EMAIL PROTECTED]     | Wireless Division