Hi Tony :)

 * A.J.Mechelynck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> dixit:
> >>You should do ":edit ++enc=utf-8 filename" or include "utf-8" in
> >>'fileencodings' before editing the file.  Then it will work no matter
> >>what 'encoding' is set to.
> >
> >    But then my US-ASCII files (and new files) will be considered utf-8,
> >and I don't want that. Or do you mean that if I set (e.g.)
> >'fencs=ucs-bom,latin1,utf8' things will work even if utf8 is never tried
> >because latin1 always succeeds?
>
> In ":set fencs=ucs-bom,latin1,utf8", UTF-8 is indeed never tried because
> Latin1 always succeeds. And that means *never*. IOW, that setting is
> logically equivalent to just ":set fencs=ucs-bom,latin1". There is
> _nothing_ that Vim will do in one case and not in the other.

    So, and if I understand everything correctly, if my locale is
latin1, my terminal is latin1 (that is, enc=latin1 and tenc=latin1) and
I want to edit/view utf8 files *and* I don't want new files or US-ASCII
files to be considered utf8, my best bet is to use "BufReadPre" to
detect utf8 files using "file -i" or something similar, thus forcing the
conversion, am I wrong?

    I assume that when "BufReadPos" is invoked, any conversion has
already been carried, am I wrong?

    Well, all of the above is easy to test, so if I can afford the time
later, I'll do and post here my results.

    Thanks, Tony :)

    Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado