Hi all, and sorry for self-replying...

 * DervishD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> dixit:
> > >I want to edit/view utf8 files *and* I don't want new files or
> > >US-ASCII files to be considered utf8, my best bet is to use
> > >"BufReadPre" to detect utf8 files using "file -i" or something
> > >similar, thus forcing the conversion, am I wrong?

    I've done the following autocommand to perform the detection:

autocmd BufReadPre *
    \ if system("file -i " . expand("<amatch>")) =~ "utf8" |
    \   setlocal fenc=utf8 |
    \ endif

    I'm sure that it could be much more simpler and powerful, but I'm a
newbie programming in VimL, so... It works for me, at least, but any
suggestion is welcome.

    Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado