:let @a='' | g/pattern/d A

go to the other buffer/tab/window and

    "aP

Thanks Tim! This will work well.

One caveat I forgot to mention with this solution: if you have an "empty" buffer, it actually has a single blank line in it, so you'll end up with an extra blank line at the end of the destination. Or if you use "ap instead of "aP the blank line will be at the top. So you'll have to clean up that line if it matters.

It's not only the quality of the answers, but the quick response that makes this vim list great!

Agreed...the only other list I've been on that's been remotely close is the Python mailing list, but it is a bit more caustic at times.

-tim