On Sun 28-Jan-07 1:20pm -0600, you wrote:

>  Bill McCarthy recently wrote to vim-dev and others:

>> Runtime files are kept fairly well updated at the Vim FTP
>> site.  You can update those files from there.  Scripts have
>> been provided for 'nix and Windows to update local files.

> Only script I found on www.vim.org to help with updating runtime
> files involves use of AAP.  If there are other scripts, please
> provide an exact link to them.

They are in posts to this mailing list.

>> For Windows, using 4nt, this one-liner will do the update:
>>
>>   copy /[!*~]/u/s ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/dos vrt:
>>
>> where vrt: is a directory alias for my $VIMRUNTIME.

> I am surprised that NT supports /[!*~] as an option to a command!
>
> Anyone know of a version of this command for XP?

I'm using XP.  As I mentioned, that copy command is for 4nt
- a commercial shell replacement for cmd.  The switches I'm
using are:

    /[!*~]   Skips all filenames ending with "~"
    /u       Only download new or newer files
    /s       Include subdirectories

I don't believe cmd supports ftp or http as source or target
of its copy command.  I'm not familiar with its switches.

> I can use perl's lwp-rget to down-load the runtime files to a
> separate directory.  I can then over-write the entire $VIMRUNTIME
> with the downloaded stuff, but do not know how to merely update
> $VIMRUNTIME.

If you work from the command line, 4nt is an excellent tool
- you'll never have to put up with the limitations of cmd
again.  You can read about it at:

    http://www.jpsoft.com/

BTW, it doesn't run on NT - only on 2000, XP, 2003 and Vista.

Bill