On 2/27/07, Bram Moolenaar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Tom Purl wrote:

> Ok, so the majority of people seem to be saying that the Google wiki
> isn't very well-suited for our needs.  Most notably, it's very likely
> that it will severely inhibit contributions.  I agree with this
> whole-heartedly.
>
> Also, a lot of people are discussing third-party wiki hosting sites and
> the possibility of running our wiki on donated server space.  I think
> this is a useful exercise in case we do end up not using the Google
> wiki.
>
> However, there are still people, including Bram, who seem to feel pretty
> strongly about using the Google wiki.  Bram, are we going down the wrong
> track by planning for a non-Google wiki?  For this site, I think it's
> very important that we get as close to a consensus as possible regarding
> who will do the hosting.

No, I don't feel strongly about using the Google wiki.  It was just an
idea that came up.  Being able to use the large server base and
cleverness of Google would be an advanage.  But there are also
disadvantages, mainly that it's not simple to let everybody edit the
wiki.

Using wikibooks.org sounds attractive, but I don't see any protection
against spamming.

Indeed wikiboots.org seems to allow anonymous editing
without registration.

I think we need some wikimedia-based free service that
requires user registration and supports the group-based comuunities.

For us, that site is better which requires the user registered per
group/community for editing, rather than any user registered
for the site. This is fine line, even if site requires user registration
for editing.

I think we need some free-wiki-site that provides for
group-based communities explicitly.

Yakov