>A last possibility, after that I'm out of my wits:
>
>At the shell prompt, do you get the same answer to
>
>    which vim
>    which gvim
>
>when logged in as steve and as root?

I do get the same answer: /usr/bin/vim and /usr/bin/gvim

But you inspired me to look around for other gvim related files. I found
~/.gnome2/Vim. On my user account, the file contains:

    [Placement]
    Dock=Toolbar\\0,0,0,0\\Menubar\\0,0,0,0

and my root account has:

    [Placement]
    Dock=Toolbar\\0,1,0,0\\Menubar\\0,0,0,0

I manually edited that file to be the same as the version in /root/.gnome2/Vim
and now everything works. I have no idea what that file is or what could have
changed it. Regardless I'm back in action again.

Thank you for all your help.

-sc

8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time