Mr. Shawn H. Corey wrote:
fREW wrote:
What you may want to do is look into your GNOME documentation.  Most
window managers have options on what to do with certain apps when they
run.  For instance I have firefox load in one virtual desktop, and I
have amaroK load in another, and I have eclipse run fullscreen.
Surely there are options similar to that for whatever GNOME uses
nowadays (metacity?).
-fREW

I notice that many applications re-open with the whatever size they had when they were closed. I think GNOME records their size and since they don't request any size at startup, GNOME resets it to what it was at the last close.

I will look in the documentation to see if I can find something but I expect it to be a long time.

Gvim compiled with GNOME support (which is not the default: a configure option is required) transparently restarts its latest session, with your latest editfile(s), at GNOME or kde startup when it was *implicitly* shut down at the previous shutdown of the GNOME or kde window manager (shut down by a message from the window manager and *not* by a ZZ or :q command). This session startup script is stored in a separate GNOME directory in order to avoid interference with your own sessions; it doesn't store the position and size of the Vim window since restoring that is the window manager's job However, the window "role" (whatever that is) is stored and restored by gvim versions compiled for GTK2+GNOME.

See ":help gnome-session".

GNOME support requires a GTK1 or GTK2 GUI; it is mentioned on the 3rd or 4th line of output of the ":version" command, for instance as follows:

Huge version with GTK2-GNOME GUI.  Features included (+) or not (-):

Computers are not intelligent.  They only think they are.