* Some user [2007.03.22 15:00]:
> ---- RANT ----
> Though I don't really get the reason why every
> command is preceded by colon.

Not to nitpick, but commands themselves don't
really care about the colon. The colon is used to
*change mode*.

In normal mode, you can just type away your
commands without any colon, ever.

Command-line mode accepts just one command at a
time, so you need to re-enter a colon for each new
command to re-enter command-line mode.

For multiple successive commands, you can use
either Ex mode or the command window:

:h Ex-mode
:h cmdwin

It sounds like you would like to be able to do
everything from normal-mode. But then you would be
lacking a lot of the expressive power of vim
commands.

> It should be one keypress, like maybe
> semi-colon.

map ; :

> One quick question, please if you could answer:
> what if I want to map something like a two keys
> in succession to something, like gg for save, gz
> for quitting and saving. How would it change?

map gg :w<CR>
map gz :wq<CR>

--
JR