It looks like it might take a script to do this.  I would need to check
if any open gvim window contains the tag being searched for.  If so, I
would make that window active and jump to the tag.  If not and the tag
reference exists, I would open a new gvim window at the tag location.

Anyone have suggestions as to how to do this?  Or know of a script that
does something similar to this?

--Bill