Jürgen Krämer wrote:
[...]
the FileType event is only fired once with the exact filetype you
specified in your set command, so you must additionally define the
following autocommand:

  autocmd FileType c.doxygen setlocal cindent number cursorline

Regards,
Jürgen

If that is true, doesn't it defeat the purpose of setting the filetype with a
dot?

Or should we add something like (untested)

  :au Filetype \(w*\).\(\S*\) exe "doau FileType \1" | exe "doau FileType \2"

?

('cindent' is set by the indent/c.vim plugin).

If God had meant for us to be naked, we would have been born that way.