On 4/10/07, Jürgen Krämer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi,

me wrote:

> actually, the selected HTML code might be available from the clipboard.
> E.g., both Firefox and Internet Explorer put it there in multiple
> formats. The following are lists of the available formats after copying
> from FF and IE, respectively:
>
>   49161: DataObject
>   49422: text/html
>   49366: HTML Format
>   49776: text/_moz_htmlcontext
>   49778: text/_moz_htmlinfo
>      13: CF_UNICODETEXT
>       1: CF_TEXT
>   49171: Ole Private Data
>      16: CF_LOCALE
>       7: CF_OEMTEXT
>
>   49161: DataObject
>       1: CF_TEXT
>      13: CF_UNICODETEXT
>   49366: HTML Format
>   49330: Rich Text Format
>   49171: Ole Private Data
>      16: CF_LOCALE
>       7: CF_OEMTEXT
>
> The formats starting with CF_ are pre-defined clipboard formats, the
> remaining ones are registered through Windows' RegisterClipboardFormat()
> function. I don't know how widely understood they are, but at least
> Microsoft Word is able to render headlines and other HTML-formatting
> instructions when text copied from Firefox is pasted into a document.
> It seems, the clipboard object associated with "HTML Format" contains
> enough information for correct rendering.
>
> A different point is how to access the HTML content in VIM. I doubt it
> would be a good idea to always paste the HTML source when accessing the
> clipboard through the + or * register. Probably a "pasteclipboard()"
> function which takes an argument for determining the preferred format
> would be a better way. This function function could then be used inside
> a mapping whenever a VIM user wants to paste the original HTML source.

sorry, I forgot to mention explicitly that this is totally Microsoft
Windows-centric. But I think other OSs might also support multiple
formats on the clipboard.

Regards,
Jürgen

in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.     (Calvin)

Yeah, I know it is somehow available in linux, even though most of the
time it drives me crazy.  I will copy paste a bunch of stuff into OO
and it will format it all the way it was on the site.  I'll bet that
this could be done with a vim plugin that used a small external tool
to get the html data copied.  I assume external because I don't know
how you could use vim to get at that information, but with C/C++ or
even some scripting language it could probably be done.

-fREW