Pavel Shevaev wrote:
I often type in vim using cp1251 charset under windows and currently I
have to switch to english charset every time I need to execute any
action in command mode which is quite inconvenient.

For example I have "ш" Russian symbol along with "i" on the same
button on my keyboard. It would be very nice if while in command mode
"ш" would actually map to "i". The same story with other keys. Thus I
won't have to switch to ascii in command mode.

See ":help 'langmap'". The example is for a Greek locale but I believe the adaptation for Russian should be trivial.

You may have to check v:ctype if you use Vim in various locales, e.g. ru_RU.cp1251, which needs the langmap, and en_GB.UTF-8, which doesn't (but may need a 'keymap' to type Russian text).

See:
        :help 'langmap'
        :help 'keymap'
        :help v:ctype
        :help :language
        :help keymap-file-format

172. You join listservers just for the extra e-mail.