Thanks for that, I am using the efm but finds it drops the first line of the first error.

errorformat=%Z%f:%l: %m,%A%p^,%-G%*[^sl]%.%#

version 7.0.122
javac 1.6.0

other wise it's marked improvement.

Yours faithfully,

Warren Crossing

Michael F. Lamb wrote:
 > I like to keep the name in, so that when later changes
 > are suggested we know who wrote the original.

I don't mind that either :)

 >>    after the pointer line. That way, the unused error
 >>    text between doesn't break vim's notion of a
 >>    "multi-line message" and also doesn't force us to
 >>    include it as a "continuation of a multi-line
 >>    message."
 >
 > Thanks for the update.  Only the last two items changed,
 > right?

Correct. (Erm, I must have thought I was about to make many
more changes... sorry, the pedantry was unintentional.) :)