Sebastian Menge wrote:
Therefore, I would vote for using tip-title == page-title and
let the categorization be done by [[Category:VimTip]]. Using
Wikipedia standards (CamelCaseIsUgly) we would get pages like
"The Super Star" and we could reuse the title in the template.
We would lose the tip-id for new tips.

Thinking about how a wiki works shows that keeping tip numbers
is doomed. First, there is no auto-increment id, and as you
point out, there is no reasonable way to automate fixes.

But more than that. I hope that the wiki tips really will be
edited and improved. Currently, there are lots of tips that are
of very marginal value, and there are several related tips.

I hope that unhelpful tips will be brutally deleted, and related
tips will be merged (if that doesn't make the new tip too big).
In other words, we should end up with many missing tip numbers.

If all tips are retained for nostalgic reasons, the usefulness
of the whole site will be reduced due to the growing amount of
cruft that would obscure the helpful tips.

Re the tip URL, what would you recommend for this:
List of text editors
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_text_editors

Will it be possible to edit the URL of a link, in order to
simplify it? For example, I don't like:
Optimization (mathematics)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimization_%28mathematics%29

I've seen much worse URLs, but can't find one now.

John