Yongwei Wu wrote:

> Please describe in more detail, so other people understand if it is a
> display issue or
> encoding issue.  The above discussion addresses the encoding issue,
> i.e., the Cyrillic characters are displayed in Latin-1 or things like
> that.  If some squares are in the place of the characters, but the
> number of characters are correct, it may be a font problem.  Just check
> to ensure you have the Cyrillic support installed on your Windows
> system, and put this in your _vimrc:
>
> :set guifont=Courier_New:h10:cDEFAULT

it was indeed a font-issue, how embarrassing!! ... Just a bit sad that my
favorite font (Fixedsys) doesn't support cyrillic characters. Well, a matter
of habit.

Thank you all for your support! I am gladly using my VIM now with a proper
display for me, newbie :)
btw: i was always surprised why, after saving, the cyrillic chars would
still be displayed in the other editor. Now i know...

пока всем!