Hi, I'm using a freshly compiled version of Vim 7.1 on a RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 (U5) machine. In both this version of Vim, and in the factory-installed version (6.3), there is a weird behavior where the "b" key, which sends the cursor back a word, has an annoying delay. The "w" key does not have this delay. When I press "w", the cursor moves to the right immediately. When I press "b", however, although vi thinks the cursor has moved ("biasdf" puts asdf at the beginning of the previous word), the visual cursor does not immediately move. The cursor's position is only updated at the beginning of the next normal flash cycle, which is a second or two later. Until this, the visual cursor stays at the old position. Needless to say, this is really weird and annoying. And to make it even more weird, this is a problem both with the text version of vim, run under an xterm, and under gvim. I believe that this was not always a problem, and that some recently-updated RHEL library change may have caused it. (Not the U4 to U5 change, though, as the problem preceded that upgrade.) Anyway, has anyone else seen this behavior? Is there a workaround? Or a patch? The "press-b-get-a-cup-of-joe" thing is getting old...

Thanks!

-Harlan