Robert Maxwell Robinson wrote:

In that case, I'll have to thank Bram for fixing my problem before I even asked him to do so! Thanks Gary, when I get a chance I'll download vim 7.

To those of you who provided links to work-around scripts etc., thank you for your help. If any of you are having trouble with large files I'd recommend doing what I _didn't_ do: make sure you're using the most recent version of vim before looking for other solutions. You may not need to reduce vim's capabilities in order to work with large files, either!

Cheers,

Max

That, my dear Max, is golden advice indeed, and not only with Vim: if you have a problem with some software, indeed any problem with any software, try to reproduce your problem using the latest available version of that software (the latest one which doesn't break your system of course). You shouldn't come out worse off for installing it, and, who knows? maybe your problem was solved by one of the intervening bugfixes. This advice is particularly worth while for fast-moving software such as, among others, Vim.

251. You've never seen your closest friends who usually live WAY too far away.