Waters, Bill wrote:
> When I have a split window (horizontal or vertical), the mouse wheel
> only works in one of the two splits.  It works in either (as it
> should) when I do a CTRL-mouse-wheel.

I don't think I understand your problem.

Ctrl-mouse wheel has no particular effect on my system (Vim 7.1 Gtk on
Debian) and it's not supposed to, according to the manual.

On my Vim the mouse wheel only scrolls in the active window, both with
and without Ctrl,

> I am looking for a work-around to this problem.

If I understand you correctly, you want the mouse wheel to always scroll
in all windows simultaneously?  Then put this in your .vimrc:

        set scrollbind

HTH
Tobia