Andrew Myers wrote:
> Actually, I think I would make the strong claim that what I am
> talking about is not just some personal preference, but a fairly
> universal one. All serious text formatting systems try to make line
> lengths equal (without introducing additional line breaks), because
> this is known to aid readability.

If your purpose is text formatting, you are right, but Vim is no text
formatting system, but a text editor which is mainly used for
programming and other technical stuff.

> The TeX formatting algorithm is one
> widely used approach. I can't see what generally held notion of
> goodness the current formatting optimizes for except algorithmic
> simplicity. But perhaps someone can explain why they prefer
> linebreaks to be inserted greedily?

Vim is mainly used for coding and other technical stuff. Your preferred
behavior is better for formatting prose, but it is not wanted when
someone wants to reformat C code. In many situations I would like to
have your suggested behavior available, thus I wrote that I would like
to have it in addition to the current behavior. I really miss it when I
write emails or some other texts in prose. But when I use Vim for more
technical stuff like coding, I prefer the current behavior.

Best wishes,
Georg Dahn