Matthew Woehlke wrote:

> Try #4...
>
> Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> > Per Hallsmark wrote:
> >> Is it possible to have this reworked so that vim follows same
> >> scheme as about 99% of the rest of the world does? :)
> >
> > A change like this will break existing build scripts.
>
> Alternatively, a change like this will allow existing build scripts to
> be used with vim...
>
> $ tar tzf vim-7.0.tar.gz | head -n 1
> vim-7.0/
>
> I had to create that tarball by extracting vim, mv'ing the directory,
> and repacking the sources, just so I could *use* my build scripts :-(.
> If/when I ever get around to building vim 7.1.72 (or whatever), I will
> have to repeat this process.
>
> > I don't see how this different name can cause a problem.  Works fine for
> > the FreeBSD port, Debian, etc.
>
> Yes, it "works", if you have a GNU build script, and a vim build script.
> Such a change would allow one to use the GNU build script to build vim,
> i.e. use the same process to build vim as for any GNU software (and any
> other software that is built in the same fashion as GNU software),
> rather than having a special script just for vim.

Sorry, but I don't see why a decent build script would require the
source to be packaged in a specific way.  Yes, it would be simpler if
they all use the same convention, but you cannot depend on that.
Sources are packaged in many different ways, not everybody follows the
GNU religion.  You also don't know if there is a configure script or
not, and whether the Makefile is for BSD make or GNU make.

As I mentioned, the FreeBSD ports system has a few variables you can set
if the structure of the archive is using a strict naming method.
It's just one or two extra lines in the build script.  Example:
http://ftp.leg.uct.ac.za/pub/FreeBSD/ports/editors/vim/Makefile

218. Your spouse hands you a gift wrapped magnet with your PC's name
     on it and you accuse him or her of genocide.