Birgi Tamersoy wrote:

> Hey everybody,
>
> Apparently many students (like me) are interested in this project. So,
> I decided to start a new thread where we can talk about the challenges
> in the project and how to solve them. I went over previous posts to
> include all the related ideas in this new thread.

Thanks for starting this discussion.

> Here are a few initial thoughts about the project:
>
> I think *speed* is one of the major concerns. Basically, editing speed
> should not be affected at all by the code checker.
>
> Running a compiler in the background with a temporary copy of the
> code, parsing the error messages and highlighting the related parts is
> one of the intuitive solutions (which is also implemented in Emacs
> Flymake). Although this is a to-the-point solution it will be quite
> slow according to your project size.
>
> *Incremental compiling* can be used to enhance this method. Rather
> than compiling the whole code every time, the checker can compile only
> the necessary parts. Right now, I don't know if this is supported by
> the majority of the compilers or the interpreters.
>
> Using a *built-in parser* is solution emphasized by Charles E.
> Campbell Jr in a related post. A parser would be perfect for syntax-
> checking, but I think the code checker should also detect errors like
> a misspelled library name.

In my opinion the errors and warnings that are highlighted must be 99%
correct.  It's very annoying if you get an error for something that is
not wrong, or compiling fails with an error but the error was not
highlighted.  I don't think that a built-in parser will be able to reach
this accuracy, except perhaps for some simple languages.

> Another concern is to make the checker not *annoying*. I cannot say
> anything about this because I am never annoyed by the code checkers I
> had used (like Eclipse). So, it would be beneficial to state what is
> annoying and what is not. According to these ideas, a checker which
> executes in different levels of detail may be implemented to address
> the issue...
>
> I really think that by the end of this August we can have an on-the-
> fly code checker which will be used by a majority of the community.
> What do you think, what are your concerns?

Global warming :-).

--
"My particular problem is with registry entries, which seem to just
accumulate like plastic coffee cups..."           -- Paul Moore