On Apr 14, 11:18 pm, Charles E Campbell Jr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> The primary disadvantage is that effectively writing a new yacc/bison is
> not a small task.  I have a real thick book about writing a yacc-like
> parser somewhere; if anyone's interested, I could look up its ISBN.

The biggest advantage for writing a brand new LALR parser I think is
that we can make it incremental. I know something about parsing LALR
grammars. They would produce some intermediate table from the grammar
definition (called status table?) to guide the parser, so that it
operates like a finite automata with a stack equipped. If we have that
table we can just store the stack and the parser's state to avoid
looking back to previous codes.
Then we also need a scanner recognizing different types of words. For
this we can seek help from tools like Lex.

Is C++ an LALR language? Not sure...

Regards,
Lin