On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 10:37:41PM +0200, Christian MICHON wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 8:50 PM, James Vega <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> Thanks for the explanations. Apparently, we use a similar approach to
> >> build a git repo. Is yours already available somewhere ?
> >
> > Yes, it's available at git.debian.org[0].  update-patches[1] is the script I
> > use.  Lines 55-65 are the parts that update the upstream branch and the rest
> > is just to ease the process of keeping the Debian branches updated.
> >
> > [0] - http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-vim/vim.git
>
> I had a adsl modem failure (found a replacement). I finally managed
> some time to have a look at your repo.
>
> One feedback: we should try to keep the patch numbers from Bram in the
> shortlog, shouldn't we ?

*shrug* I went back and forth on that and ended up leaving it as is
since that's the way I started.

> I also see you've a lot of branches and tags. In my current repo's
> experiments, I stick only to released versions (I prefer to leave the
> alpha versions off the repo, too many of them) and use a branch for
> each version. Then I use a tag to mark/keep the start of it and a tag
> for versions which are not maintained anymore.

The workflow for the repo is geared towards what works for maintaining
the Debian vim package.  For that purpose, tagging the upstream+patch
level that was used to release a Debian package is useful.

> My commit's dates are based on the ftp server: I guess a cleaner
> approach should be to scan the mailing list archives or copy the dates
> from cvs.

I had thought about making git record the date as when the patch was
released but since that information isn't in the patch itself, gave up
on it.

> I'm consolidating the repo then I'll find a web server to host it.
> Thanks for the git address.

Cool.  I'm sure people will find a repo meant purely for replication
instead of my specific needs more useful.

--
James
GPG Key: 1024D/61326D40 2003-09-02 James Vega <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>